Monday, January 16, 2012

Big Chop...Why I Cut My Hair?

Most natural ladies planned to transition from a perm or do the big chop to start fresh but that was not my plan.  I just ended up being natural because of a perm gone bad.  I had just delivered our daughter Stacy and my hair was a hot mess.  Not thinking, I decided to do a retouch and why did I do that? My hair began to fall out in clumps especially around the edges.  I could just reach into my hair and pull on it gently and get a  hand full of hair.  It was coming out at a pace that made my skin crawl.  I was totally embarrassed and began hiding the hair from my husband in the trash.  I believe the combination of hormones and a bad perm took my hair out.  So, in my quest to just end the torment I began cutting my permed hair off.  But in some places it was broken off down to the scalp which lead me to shave it.  Go figure that it was around the same time Brittney Spears shaved her head.  People thought I was insane!  But hey, I would rather have a bald even head then patches missing all through out.  

So this is where the journey began...from that point on, I had natural hair.  I started going to my husband's barber and he would line me up and arch my eye brows...I felt like a boy, really.  A lady admonished me and said "Girl, just keep you on some earrings, makeup  and keep your eyebrows done!"  LOL I was like OK, I can do that.  

Not sure how I ended up on YouTube learning about hair, but this is where the process began...in 2006.  I am coming up on my 5 year anniversary as a natural and I would not trade it for the world.  I love my hair.  I love learning how to make it do what I want.  I love meeting other ladies who are trying to figure it out as well because we encourage one another.  

I am adding my journey from YouTube.  I hope you enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment