Friday, January 13, 2012

Dealing with Nappy Insecurities

Growing up, my hair was considered nappy and hard to manage.  Not to mention the fact that I had lots of it and was super tender headed on top of it all.  My Mom sent me to the hair salon early on because it was so much work to do my hair.  I would cry and snot...and I know it drove her bananas.  Plus the hours of labor to wash, dry and press.  By then end of the day, we were both worn out. :(

Now looking back, I understand how seeds planted in my head by the media about kinky hair had infiltrated my thinking.  The thoughts of not being good enough or pretty with natural hair crowded my mind and I could not shake the embarrassment.

The process to natural hair for me involved shame at an extreme level.  I wore weaves and wigs to fit in with the majority.  I even worked on a job that did not allow braids or ethic hairstyles.  Yet, somehow I noticed  when I would sneak out of the house with my natural styles, other people would approach me and give me compliments. Or it would spark conversations with strangers that would go on for a time.

Walking this out has really taught me how to love my hair and ultimately love who God has created me to be naturally.  Now don't get me wrong, I will straighten my hair, weave my hair and sport a nice wig if that is how I am feeling. It's just not a mandate to be accepted by people.  I have arrived at a place where I can enjoy caring and wearing my hair without fear of what others are thinking of me.

This video is when I was getting through the shame in 2009 and dealing with many insecurities regarding my natural hair.  Thank God for liberating me.  Yet I know there are others out there who are dealing with this very thing.  All I can say is be the best you, you can be! If it's natural hair, permed hair, braided hair, wigged hair, NO HAIR...rock it.

Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment